Thursday, July 28, 2011

Successful canes...Failed baking...

These past few days, I've been playing around with my clay...and I decided to make my own canes. I watched some free tutorials on youtube and played with one of the tutorials there, changing a bit here and there...i forgot to take initial pictures because i was too excited...



and another...


I love the idea that this big canes can be reduced into smaller logs and the design stays the same...they look so intricate and amazing when they're tiny...

Seems like a good clay day, right....

Unfortunately, when you're still learning, the good sometimes comes with the bad...

I also decided to try using one of my mokume gane blocks. I took a small clear glass i had tucked away in the cupboards and covered it with thin slices of my mokume gane block. Here it was all covered...nice and pretty... I tried putting a candle inside just to get an idea of what it would look like...

Oooh, I am liking that...

So, this morning I fired up the oven, popped in the glass (covered around with cardboard) and waited, carefully checking back every so often as not to to burn it (I was worried since the clay was quite thin)...

At the end of cooking time I took out the glass...not knowing i would find this...

Awww...my beautiful mokume gane..... 

Oh well, its a lesson learned...I forgot to  put the glass ON TOP of cardboard or something that would prevent the burn. I enclosed it around the sides and didn't even think of the ends of the glass. I'll have to read up more about covering glass items because I'm really planning to come out with a bunch of these glass covered items. I think they're quite lovely!

I wonder if i can still do something to salvage this beauty...

That's all for now..have a great day!








until I came up with a big log tbat seemed a bit distorted in the ends

1 comment:

  1. Oh Penny it was so pretty I really do hope you can salvage it! What a great idea! I am loving your canes too!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments...feel free to leave one :-)