Monday, April 23, 2012

The Art of Patience

Those who are close to me know that I am quite impatient...especially when it comes to creating. When inspiration hits me...i have to get it done. I like to see results...fast! Sometimes, i start even without planning...just dive right in and see how it goes.

With stoneware clay, I am learning the art of patience. In each of my workshop sessions I was able to complete a piece...but for the last day, our teacher asked us to come in with a plan of something we wanted to create combining different techniques we learned in class.

I actually already had an idea for what i wanted to do and the night before class, i sat down and scratched a few doodles on to a piece of paper. I worked on a couple of patterns to bring with me that I would use to cut out my clay pieces. So, I was ready.

In class, I tried to work quickly building my coiled piece but noticed that the clay was too wet to keep building. I had to slow down and give the clay time to dry out a bit. So I learned to relax and build more carefully and slowly since the piece that I was creating was a bit bigger than the usual pieces that i had made...

I had to go home this time, with an unfinished project but, of course, it is a challenge for me to complete this. Now that the workshop is done, I will be working on my final project here at home. There's still a lot of work to be done on it but, I am excited because I know, I've been wanting to make a piece like this for a while... You're wonder what it is? Well, you'll have to be patient too and come back to see how its going before you can find out...
Anyway's here is what I have on the work so far....

Not much to go by quite yet but...just wait and see!!!

In the meantime, i do have mini projects on the side that are quick with instant gratification...here are a few greenware pendants and a stamp I worked on...

I carved the designs out freehand on a piece of slab and then cut out several pieces in oval shapes. I really like the one on the upper right (2nd to the right), It has a concave shape which may allow me to just glaze the front side and leave the back unfinished. I noticed too that i need to make the holes a bit bigger for the pendants..maybe i could drill them a bit to enlarged them...

So, that's what i am working on for now. I also have to get back into the groove at my supplies shop. I have a few orders to process and hopefully I'll get the invoices out today. Busy busy bee!!! Have a great day and keep cool!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...feel free to leave one :-)