Thursday, January 6, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year to all crafters out there! I started the new year great by completing my shawl project over vacation. 

I spent every moment I could find crocheting and completing this project. I still had a bit of the blue yarn left so I've been using it to practice and learn a few crochet stitches. Here's a granny square I did yesterday
I'm really excited to start a new project (maybe a shawl?) but still haven't gotten a chance to go out and get some since I've been feeling under the weather the past two days.  I heard about a really inexpensive place to buy yarn here and as soon as I feel better, I'm sure to explore.

I do have a stash of yarn that I have been working on...or reclaiming. I am recycling an old sweater that I got at the local thrift stalls. I don't have a before picture of the sweater since I was so excited to jump in and pull the yarn apart. But here is one of the hanks that I reclaimed from the sweater



After soaking and stretching the yarn, it still has a bit of curly kinky-ness to it. I'll give it another stretching today before I roll it into a ball of usable yarn. I have 3 more of these ready to be stretched. What a bargain for only P10...or .23 cents (in US dollar) Now, I just have to plan what to do with them.

By the way, recycling yarn is really great and economical. Since I live in a tropical country, sweaters are totally ignored at thrift stores. But, you can get some wonderful yarn from them. Hm...this calls for another visit to my favorite "ukay" (that's what thrift stores are called in the Philippines).

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments...feel free to leave one :-)